South Africa

Closing arguments expected in Van Breda trial

admin No Comments

Henri van Breda

Closing arguments will be heard on Monday in the trial of triple murder accused, Henri van Breda in the High Court in Cape Town.

Van Breda is accused of killing his parents and brother with an axe at their home in the De Zalze Estate in Stellenbosch three years ago.

During his last court appearance a neurologist, Dr James Butler, conceded under cross examination that he cannot be certain for how long Van Breda remained unconscious after suffering epileptic seizures.

Butler was brought in by the defence to explain the more than two-hour time lapse before Van Breda phoned for emergency assistance after the killing of his family.

Butler has diagnosed the 23 year old with Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy which is characterised with periods of delirium after the seizures. Van Breda is on treatment for depression and anxiety.

 

Click below to watch videos: 

 

The post Closing arguments expected in Van Breda trial appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..

Source: SABCNews

Man to appear in court for killing 107-year-old woman

admin No Comments

Court and handcuffs

A 36-year-old man is due to appear in the Howick Magistrate’s Court in the KwaZulu-Natal Midlands on charges of murder, rape and house-breaking on Friday morning.

He was arrested last week in connection with the murder of a 107-year-old woman at Mpophomeni outside Pietermaritzburg.

The elderly woman was attacked in her bedroom. When her grandchildren went to investigate, they found the suspect trying to flee and handed him over to police.

He was out on parole in two other rape cases.

He has abandoned his bail application, for safety reasons.

The post Man to appear in court for killing 107-year-old woman appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..

Source: SABCNews

Nafupa partners with Dove to develop small business in the funeral industry

admin No Comments

Nafupa is seeking to develop small business in the funeral industry.

The National Funeral Practitioners Association of South Africa (Nafupa) has partnered with Funeral Cover Company Doves to develop small business in the funeral industry.

The two groups have been at loggerheads in the recent past, after Nafupa made a controversial call to prevent White and Indian undertakers from working in the country’s townships.

Doves alleged that it received threats and intimidation from Nafupa members, and later obtained a court order from the Durban High Court preventing Nafupa members from hampering their efforts to conduct business in the townships.

Nafupa’s Nkosentsha Shezi says their partnership with Doves is a milestone reached.

“We agreed that Doves is going to assist Nafupa SA to secure an insurance license on its own, and also the system that is used to capture policies to go with the license. We have made some agreements in terms of infrastructure throughout the country, wherever Nafupa SA members, have infrastructure – that infrastructure can be outsourced to Doves and Doves can also outsource some infrastructure to Nafupa SA members – which brings into a good cordial working relationship… so that whenever we have infrastructure we can bring in revenue on both sides.”

Meanwhile, Doves CEO Minky Ngcobo says their new partnership with Nafupa will bring new opportunities.

“We’ve also agreed to assist Nafupa SA as well as all undertakers in SA, as Doves, because we’re also black owned. Doves has been in a existence for more than 150 years… on how to conduct funeral services,  as well as difficult skills that are not normally offered through in our universities – that is embalming, beautification. The sale skills on how to get insurance clients, and various other funeral related skills.”

The post Nafupa partners with Dove to develop small business in the funeral industry appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..

Source: SABCNews

Pastor shot in church dies in hospital

admin No Comments

The 40-year old pastor died in hospital.

The pastor who was shot in his church in Edenvale, east of Johannesburg on Sunday morning, has died in hospital.

Eyewitnesses say three armed men walked into the church and shot the 40-year old pastor before fleeing the scene.

Police are investigating a case of murder, and have launched a manhunt for the suspects. Police spokesperson, Jean Olckers says the motive for the shooting is still unknown.

“The pastor that was shot in Edenvale this morning has passed away in hospital. We do urge anybody with further information regarding this case urge anyone with further information to come forward and give us the information. A case of murder is now being investigated.”

The post Pastor shot in church dies in hospital appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..

Source: SABCNews

India complete crushing win

admin No Comments

India takes a 2-0 win in the six match series.

Indian captain Virat Kohli said after a crushing win in the second one-day international at SuperSport Park on Sunday that he wanted his match-winning wrist spinners to continue to put pressure on South Africa’s batsmen.

Yuzvendra Chahal and Kuldeep Yadav set up a nine-wicket win which gave India a 2-0 lead in the six-match series.

Leg-spinner Chahal picked up a career-best five for 22 and left-armer Yadav took three for 20 as South Africa were bowled out for 118, the lowest total in one-day internationals at the ground.

“We know that their middle order is inexperienced and we want to cash in on that in the future games and put some real pressure on them,” said Kohli.

“The way our spinners are bowling I am pretty confident we can continue (with) the same momentum.”

Both Indian spinners extracted a surprising amount of turn on a dry pitch which man of the match Chahal admitted was helpful. “We also play in these conditions in India,” he said.

Kohli said it had been a complete bowling performance, with new ball bowlers Bhuvneshwar Kumar and Jasprit Bumrah setting the tone.

“They didn’t let South Africa get away with scoring too many runs,” he said.

South Africa made a reasonable start, with Hashim Amla and Quinton De Kock putting on 39 for the first wicket before Amla was caught behind off Kumar. De Kock fell to Chahal, one of three batsmen to fall with the total on 51 as the spinners took control.

“We knew if we got those two at the top, their middle order is inexperienced and a bit shaky,” said Kohli.

“The spinners were outstanding. They were getting bounce and pace off the wicket, which worked in our favour.”

With star players Faf Du Plessis and AB De Villiers both missing because of injury, it was a chastening introduction to the South African captaincy for Aiden Markram.

The 23-year-old was appointed for the rest of the series after Du Plessis broke his right index finger in the first match in Durban on Thursday.

“We are going to have to be really honest with ourselves,” said Markram. “Every person will have to see how we can get better.”

India came within two runs of winning before lunch when the umpires stuck to the letter of the regulations and insisted on a break after allowing an extra four overs or 15 minutes to achieve a result. India had been 93 for one at the scheduled interval.

Most of a capacity crowd left the ground before Kohli scored the winning runs.

After South Africa’s mini collapse with the total on 51, JP Duminy and new cap Khaya Zondo both scored 25 and shared a fifth wicket partnership of 48 before the last six wickets tumbled for 19 runs.

India started aggressively, with Rohit Sharma pulling Morne Morkel for six in the first over of their innings.

Sharma fell for 15, caught by Morkel at fine leg off Kagiso Rabada, but Shikhar Dhawan and Kohli put on an unbeaten 91 for the second wicket to secure an easy win. Dhawan finished with 51 not out and Kohli made 46 not out.

The post India complete crushing win appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..

Source: SABCNews

New interim rulers to be announced

admin No Comments

THE new temporary leadership of the ANC in the Free State may be announced today when the national executive committee (NEC) visits the province. This follows after the recently elected NEC said on the weekend that the ANC provincial executive committees (PEC) in the Free State had been suspended and interim structure aimed at uniting
Source: The New Age

I’m a crossfire victim – Koko

admin No Comments

FORMER Eskom acting chief executive Matshela Koko claims to have been a “crossfire” victim in a war of attrition at the power utility in an affidavit he will submit today before Parliament’s inquiry into corporate governance at the state-owned enterprise. In his explosive submission, Koko outlines how corruption allegations against him have had a negative
Source: The New Age

Nigerian men appear in Rustenburg court for public violence

admin No Comments

Fourteen Nigerian men, accused of public violence, appeared in the Rustenburg Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday.

Their case was postponed to January 26, for the lawyers representing two men to be present in court. The men told the court they would hire private attorneys to represent them.

Two opted for legal aid while nine others would conduct taxi rank was shut down on Tuesday.

The court ordered that their photographs or identity must not be published because there is still an identity parade to be conducted.

The men allegedly attacked people in Rustenburg Noord on Sunday night in what was suspected to be a revenge attack after houses occupied by Nigerians were set alight two weeks ago.

Eight guest houses were suspected of being drug dens and brothels were torched.

Alfred Motabogi who survived the attacked in Waterval on Sunday, said about 38 cars with Gauteng registration numbers, arrived with heavy armed Nigerian men.

They only shouted: “South Africans must die today”, before they smashed windows of three cars and beat up two men.

“I hide in the second floor and watched them as they damaged two of my cars.”

He went to the Rustenburg police station to open a charge of malicious damage to property and found the same group of Nigerians at the police.

“I learnt they were arrested for attacking people in Noord.”

He said he knew some of the men who damaged his cars as the live in the same area.

Another survivor George Nduli said the men asked the two men the found outside who was the taxi operators’ informer.

“Before they could respond they were kicked and beaten with knobkerries. One took a charge and smashed all of my cars windows.”

The State intends to oppose the bail application.

The post Nigerian men appear in Rustenburg court for public violence appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..

Source: SABCNews

Hoërskool Overvaal pupils receive trauma counselling

admin No Comments

Several pupils at Hoërskool Overvaal are receiving trauma counselling, following protests outside the school.

Violent clashes outside the Vereeniging high school have led to almost 40 people being arrested this week.

Protesters are demanding the school to review its language policy after the High Court ruled that the Afrikaans medium school did not have the space to accommodate 55 English speaking pupils.

For pupils at Hoërskool Overvaal, the academic year began with a protest outside their gates. Rubber bullets and stun grenades were fired with a police vehicle petrol bombed.

The school is trying to maintain normality.

Life coach, Pierre Ronquest says, “Protesters are demanding that 55 non-Afrikaans speaking pupils be admitted to the school despite the High Court’s ruling saying the school does not have capacity to admit them.”

Hoërskool Overval SGB, Hardus Visagie  says, “Since Wednesday parents, along with African National Congress, Economic Freedom Fighters and Cosas members have picketed outside, while on the other side of the road, Afrikaans activists and residents gathered to ensure the pupils’ safety.”

Twenty-seven people were arrested on Thursday for the police vehicle that was petrol bombed, while eleven others were arrested on Wednesday.

On Friday, the situation was calm with police and private security at the scene.

 

The post Hoërskool Overvaal pupils receive trauma counselling appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..

Source: SABCNews

DUT staff, Vice Chancellor at loggerheads

admin No Comments

Employees at the Durban University of Technology (DUT) in Durban say they have lost confidence in Vice Chancellor Professor Thandwa Mthembu after he failed to engage with them three days into their protected strike.

Members of three unions, National Education Health and Allied Workers’ Union (Nehawu), National Tertiary Education Union (Nteu) and Tertiary Education National Union of South Africa (Tenusa) are demanding a 10% increase to their salaries.

The strike coincides with similar protest action at Unisa where students protested in solidarity with employees who downed tools are demanding a 12% increase. Both employers have offered only 4%.

Speaking on behalf of the three unions, Nehawu’s Milton Estrice says, “There’s been no talks with management, Rome is burning and they are writing love letters; but one thing is clear staff will not stop this strike until there is engagement and an amicable solution found.

“So on Wednesday we marched to let the Vice Chancellor know that he cannot turn a blind eye to what is happening and we have given him a memorandum indicating that staff has taken a vote of no confidence in him because he has failed to engage the union for the past three days.”

Click here for a video:

The post DUT staff, Vice Chancellor at loggerheads appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..

Source: SABCNews

Recent Comments

    Categories