Source: The New Age
Source: The New Age
The ANC National Executive Committee (NEC) decision to ban its party colours and regalia from the corruption trial of President Jacob Zuma has on Friday completely backfired. Despite an instruction issued last month by party Secretary General Ace Magashule against “displaying the ANC’s paraphernalia” hundreds of Zuma supporters turned up in their ANC gear outside
Source: The New Age
A 36-year-old man is due to appear in the Howick Magistrate’s Court in the KwaZulu-Natal Midlands on charges of murder, rape and house-breaking on Friday morning.
He was arrested last week in connection with the murder of a 107-year-old woman at Mpophomeni outside Pietermaritzburg.
The elderly woman was attacked in her bedroom. When her grandchildren went to investigate, they found the suspect trying to flee and handed him over to police.
He was out on parole in two other rape cases.
He has abandoned his bail application, for safety reasons.
The post Man to appear in court for killing 107-year-old woman appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..
Mabuyakhulu was arrested earlier this week on charges of corruption linked to a R28 million tender to hold the North Sea Jazz Festival in Durban in 2012.
Mhlongo says the provincial government referred the case to them after alleged irregularities were noticed in the tender.
“The issue of political association is not the thing that the Hawks are taking into consideration when they are investigating. Remember the Hawks mandate is to investigate serious corruption, serious organised crime, serious commercial crime without any fear or favour of who the suspects are,” explains Mhlongo.
Watch Mabuyakhulu appearing in court for tender corruption….
The post Arrest of Mabuyakhulu not politically-motivated: Hawks appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..
The National Funeral Practitioners Association of South Africa (Nafupa) has partnered with Funeral Cover Company Doves to develop small business in the funeral industry.
The two groups have been at loggerheads in the recent past, after Nafupa made a controversial call to prevent White and Indian undertakers from working in the country’s townships.
Doves alleged that it received threats and intimidation from Nafupa members, and later obtained a court order from the Durban High Court preventing Nafupa members from hampering their efforts to conduct business in the townships.
Nafupa’s Nkosentsha Shezi says their partnership with Doves is a milestone reached.
“We agreed that Doves is going to assist Nafupa SA to secure an insurance license on its own, and also the system that is used to capture policies to go with the license. We have made some agreements in terms of infrastructure throughout the country, wherever Nafupa SA members, have infrastructure – that infrastructure can be outsourced to Doves and Doves can also outsource some infrastructure to Nafupa SA members – which brings into a good cordial working relationship… so that whenever we have infrastructure we can bring in revenue on both sides.”
Meanwhile, Doves CEO Minky Ngcobo says their new partnership with Nafupa will bring new opportunities.
“We’ve also agreed to assist Nafupa SA as well as all undertakers in SA, as Doves, because we’re also black owned. Doves has been in a existence for more than 150 years… on how to conduct funeral services, as well as difficult skills that are not normally offered through in our universities – that is embalming, beautification. The sale skills on how to get insurance clients, and various other funeral related skills.”
The post Nafupa partners with Dove to develop small business in the funeral industry appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..
Employees at the Durban University of Technology (DUT) in Durban say they have lost confidence in Vice Chancellor Professor Thandwa Mthembu after he failed to engage with them three days into their protected strike.
Members of three unions, National Education Health and Allied Workers’ Union (Nehawu), National Tertiary Education Union (Nteu) and Tertiary Education National Union of South Africa (Tenusa) are demanding a 10% increase to their salaries.
The strike coincides with similar protest action at Unisa where students protested in solidarity with employees who downed tools are demanding a 12% increase. Both employers have offered only 4%.
Speaking on behalf of the three unions, Nehawu’s Milton Estrice says, “There’s been no talks with management, Rome is burning and they are writing love letters; but one thing is clear staff will not stop this strike until there is engagement and an amicable solution found.
“So on Wednesday we marched to let the Vice Chancellor know that he cannot turn a blind eye to what is happening and we have given him a memorandum indicating that staff has taken a vote of no confidence in him because he has failed to engage the union for the past three days.”
Click here for a video:
The post DUT staff, Vice Chancellor at loggerheads appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..
The murder trial of Inchanga South African Communist Party (SACP) member Nonsikelelo Blose got underway in the Durban Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday.
Five men have been charged with her 2016 murder.
They’ve also been charged with the attempted murder of a Young Communist League (YCL) member who was present at the scene.
Bonginkosi Hlengwa, Sthembiso Mnguni, Lindokuhle Basi, Khehla Shozi and Lungisani Lungu Shozi have pleaded not guilty to both counts.
About two weeks after the 2016 Local Government Elections it’s alleged Nonsikelelo Blose went to a local tavern in Fredville to buy braaied meat, to celebrate the results.
She was shot there and died shortly afterwards.
The five men that have been charged with her murder are also charged with the attempted murder of Wandile Nxumalo, who was also at the scene.
He is the son of former eThekwini mayor James Nxumalo.
According to Blose’s daughters’ emotional testimony, one of the accused fired two shots hitting her mother. She alleges that his friends then pulled him away and fled the scene.
According to the charge sheet, it’s alleged that the murder was planned or premeditated and was committed by a group of people with a common purpose.
In a statement the suspects admitted being at the tavern, but say they were there, merely drinking liquor, enjoying each others company and singing.
They also denied being in possession of firearms.
The trial is set down for four days.
The post Five accused of murdering SACP member Blose plead not guilty appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..
Phumza Diko wept as she tried to share with the commission her difficulties in raising their children without a father.
She told the commission that Tshibase had known after the death of uMzimkhulu municipality speaker Khaya Thobela that his life was also in danger.
Tshibase was ambushed at the gate of his home a month after the death of Thobela in May last year.
Diko says Tshibase had indicated that the enemies were from the political arena.
Quizzed by evidence leader advocate Bheki Manyathi, Diko agreed that Tshibase’s enemies were from his own political party, the African National Congress (ANC):
While no arrests have been made as yet, Diko says the investigators update her on monthly basis.
She said his death at the age of 39 left a huge void.
“We were working together, and assisting each other to continue with life, but later we were unable to even communicate over the phone, because he was reluctant since he suspected his phone was bugged. He preferred that we meet in person – even if he visited us he would not stay long, or until late, because it is not safe… he was always highlighting the fact that things were not going well within the ANC. We knew about the intimidation, but we didn’t think it will happen to him the way it happened… so soon. It is so painful because even my child will grow without knowing his father.”
The commission has been adjourned to the 23rd of this month.
The post Fiance of late councillor shares loss at Moerane Commission appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..
The South African Social Security Agency (Sassa) has rejected claims of over R1 billion by Cash Paymaster Services (CPS) based on the apparent breach of terms of social grant payment service contracts. Acting Sassa CEO Pearl Bengu said the contracts in question were concluded in 2009 for Limpopo, Eastern Cape, KwaZulu-Natal, the Northern Cape and
Source: The New Age
A farmer from Cramond near Pietermaritzburg has been arrested and charged with murder. He allegedly shot and killed 42-year-old Mothi Ngubane during a funeral held on his farm.
The community members living on the farm say they have lived on the farm for many years, but have never experienced such malice.
According to eyewitnesses, the farmer demanded that they stop the funeral and leave the farm immediately.
An altercation between the farmer and mourners ensued.
The farmer appeared to be reaching a gun. Those who tried to stop him were too late.
“We tried to stop him, but he told us to leave. He then cocked his firearm, turned to the deceased and shot him three times in his abdomen and neck and we all ran,” says Mbuzeni Buthelezi, a community member.
Police say the suspect is expected to appear in court soon.
“One of the family members tried to intervene and he was shot in the process. The suspect fled the scene in his vehicle and the Cramond Police were called to the scene and they managed to apprehend the suspect who was found in possession of four firearms,” says Police Spokesperson Nqobile Gwala.
Those living on the farm said they had earlier requested assistance from the police.
“We had notified the police about the troublesome farmer and we requested that they come to monitor the situation, but they did not come and we carried on with the funeral until the farmer came and shot him,” says Ntombifikile Lembethe, a farm dweller.
Police couldn’t confirm that they had been called to the farm to monitor the burial.
The farmer’s family could not be reached for comment.
The post KZN farmer arrested for killing a mourner at a funeral appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..