Gauteng

UP bans private accommodation

admin No Comments

THE University of Pretoria (UP) banned a private owned student accommodation from its list of residences due to lack of transformation and won’t be participating in its upcoming events. The Sonop residence apparently doesn’t meet the university’s transformation quota, accommodating black students in only six out of 160 residences of Sonop remains predominantly Afrikaans and
Source: The New Age

Pastor shot in church dies in hospital

admin No Comments

The 40-year old pastor died in hospital.

The pastor who was shot in his church in Edenvale, east of Johannesburg on Sunday morning, has died in hospital.

Eyewitnesses say three armed men walked into the church and shot the 40-year old pastor before fleeing the scene.

Police are investigating a case of murder, and have launched a manhunt for the suspects. Police spokesperson, Jean Olckers says the motive for the shooting is still unknown.

“The pastor that was shot in Edenvale this morning has passed away in hospital. We do urge anybody with further information regarding this case urge anyone with further information to come forward and give us the information. A case of murder is now being investigated.”

The post Pastor shot in church dies in hospital appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..

Source: SABCNews

Manyi denies links between ANN7, New Age and the Guptas

admin No Comments

Jimmy Manyi continues to deny any existing links between the TV news channel ANN7 and the New Age newspaper and the Guptas.

This despite the fact that the two media entities are still listed on the Guptas’ holding company Oakbay’s official website as part of its group of companies.

Manyi acquired ANN7 and the New Age from the Guptas six months ago for R450 million by way of vendor financing- which means the Guptas lent him the money to buy their assets from them.

Click video below:

The post Manyi denies links between ANN7, New Age and the Guptas appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..

Source: SABCNews

Eskom Group Capital head Prish Govender resigns

admin No Comments

Eskom’s acting head of Group Capital Prish Govender has resigned with immediate effect. Govender’s resignation comes a day after Chief Financial Officer Anoj Singh handed in his resignation letter. Eskom spokesperson Khulu Phasiwe confirmed Govender’s resignation.   ALERT: Eskom’s acting head of Group Capital, Mr Prish Govender tendered his resignation today. He resigned with immediate
Source: The New Age

59 suspects in court for Krugersdorp violence

admin No Comments

Fifty nine protesters are expected to appear in the Krugersdorp Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday on charges of public violence. The suspects were arrested in Mogale City, Krugersdorp on Monday, following a protest action. The protest got out of hand as residents took to the street to express their anger against drug dealers and child traffickers in
Source: The New Age

ANCYL dismayed by Hoerskool Overvaal incident

admin No Comments

The ANC Youth League has condemned police action at Hoerskool Overvaal. Earlier today police fired rubber bullets injuring several people who were protesting outside the school demanding admission for English speaking students. Last week, the school won an application to reverse a decision by the North Gauteng High Court to register 55 more students at
Source: The New Age

SABC board to act in line with interim court order

admin No Comments

The Board of the SABC says it will continue to act in line with an interim court order from the High Court in Pretoria in 2017 regarding the appointment of executive management at the public broadcaster.

The SABC earlier denied it had appointed a new Chief Operations Officer (COO) saying the process was still on-going.

This came amid reports that the public broadcaster had appointed media executive Chris Maroleng to the COO position.

The High Court in Pretoria ruled in December that the non-executive members of the public broadcaster’s board appoint the executive members and not cabinet.

This was viewed as a major victory for those campaigning against political interference in the public broadcaster.

Meanwhile, the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) has warned Communications Minister Mmamolo Kubayi-Ngubane not to repeat the mistakes of previous ministers by interfering in the appointment of top management at the public broadcaster.

Kubayi-Ngubane earlier claimed appointments of top SABC management were done via a cabinet process.

This is in apparent contradiction of the December court order.

EFF spokesperson Mbuyiseni Ndlozi says the minister is not making the pronouncements out of ignorance.

“If  the CEO of the SABC is appointed by the cabinet, then the SABC ceases to be a public broadcaster and then becomes a state broadcaster. Then she is dangerous, because we are shocked, because Cyril Ramaphosa said things will be different, yet under his watch, ministers are continuing intervening with the work of the SABC board.”

Related video click below:

The post SABC board to act in line with interim court order appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..

Source: SABCNews

Rea Vaya services now live on Google Maps

admin No Comments

The city of Johannesburg has announced Rea Vaya services are now live on Google Maps. According to city, residents and visitors can now use Google Maps to get information on Rea Vaya bus routes, bus stops and stations, as well as bus times. Member of the mayoral committee for transport councilor Nonhlanhla Makhuba said: “Adding
Source: The New Age

City of Joburg apologises for swimming pools closure

admin No Comments

The City of Johannesburg on Tuesday apologised to residents for the shortage of chemical supplies that led to the closure of public swimming pools over the festive season. “As a member of the Mayoral committee for community development, I wish to apologise to the residents of the city of Johannesburg for the inconvenience caused by
Source: The New Age

Suspended Gauteng health head resigns

admin No Comments

The Gauteng government has confirmed that the suspended head of the provincial Health department, Barney Selebano, has tendered his resignation letter.

Gauteng government spokesperson Thabo Masebe says Selebano gave the letter to Gauteng premier David Makhura.

Selebano was suspended in the wake of the Life Esidimeni tragedy in which at least 143 mentally-ill patients died. This was after they were transferred from Life Esidimeni to ill-equipped and unlicensed NGOs.

However, it is not clear if Selebano’s resignation is connected to the Esidimeni tragedy.

Masebe says Makhura will make an official announcement soon.

“Well, Heads of Departments in the provincial departments are employed by the Premier. And at the time when they decide to terminate their employment services with the provincial government, they will make their indications to the Premier. The Premier is currently dealing with the matter… as soon as there’s a decision, he will make a public statement,” says Masebe.

Meanwhile, Democratic Alliance (DA) leader in the province, Jack Bloom says Selebano must face criminal charges for his role in the deaths of the Life Esidimeni patients despite him tendering his resignation.

“I’m pleased that he’s no longer with the department, but I think that charges should be laid in connection with the Esidimeni matter. I think that resignation or dismissal in the case of all those implicated in the Esidimeni tragedy can’t be the end of the matter. Criminal charges need to be laid; it needs to go further than dismissal or resignation. And I think we need to see justice for the victims of the Esidimeni disaster.”

Click here to watch a video:

The post Suspended Gauteng health head resigns appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..

Source: SABCNews

Recent Comments

    Categories