Durban

KZN police call for calm following “devices” discovery

admin No Comments

Vishnu Naidoo

The public must not be frightened by the spate of suspicious devices found in and around Durban. Police have given the assurance that none of them was capable of exploding, but said they could have started a fire.

It’s believed about six devices were found in the space of a week, mainly in major shopping malls like Gateway and the Pavillion.

Some were hidden between cushions in major retail stores while others underneath cars.

“We are investigating exactly what these devices were intended for, who was responsible for placing these devices at the places we found them and what’s the motive behind them,” saysNational Police Spokesperson, Colonel Vishnu Naidoo.

Police called for calm and confirmed that no damage to property or injuries was caused. No one has been arrested yet and no one has claimed responsibility.

The Hawks have taken over the investigation.

WATCH RELATED VIDEO:

The post KZN police call for calm following “devices” discovery appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..

Source: SABCNews

Anticipation brews ahead of Durban July

admin No Comments

Preparations are in place for this year’s Vodacom Durban July.

More than 50 000 people are expected at Greyville Racecourse to witness South Africa’s best thoroughbreds race to the finish off the R3-million event.

Glitz and glamour will be the order of the day, but betting and festivities will not be limited to the racecourse.

Entertainment outlets in the region are gearing up to entertain fun lovers.

Residents of townships around Durban such as Umlazi and Umgababa on the south coast say they are ready to spoil the local visitors and holiday makers.

Owner of a venue near the Old uMgababa Sunlight Beach, Mondli Mtsho Makhathini, says they are looking forward to the weekend.

“Umgababa will host a showstopper event from Friday up until Sunday, where we will be wrapping up the July fun. The Coastal Lounge just opened its doors last month, and the fun is endless. KZN holiday makers who will be returning from the Durban Vodacom July have nowhere but the Coastal Lounge to go. We boast with a sea view and fun. Security has been beefed up, and people should not miss the happiness. The festivities begin on Friday and end on Sunday night.”

This year’s event will be celebrated under the theme “It Is Time” and event organisers say the concept has been warmly received in racing, fashion and social circles.

Fashion designers, hospitality providers and race goers will give their own interpretation of this theme to find that perfect look for the day.

The post Anticipation brews ahead of Durban July appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..

Source: SABCNews

King Zwelithini urges males to undergo circumcision

admin No Comments

Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini has reiterated his call for all males to undergo medical male circumcision. He was addressing hundreds of people gathered at MaMaqadini in Inanda north of Durban during the launch of the millionth man to be circumcised in KwaZulu-Natal.

Television actor Melusi Yeni became the millionth man. The procedure was performed by Health MEC Sbonginseni Dhlomo  at the Sivananda Clinic in the Ohlange area north of Durban.

King Zwelithini started a campaign with the aim that all men in the province should be circumcised to help prevent HIV transmission.

41-year old Malusi Yeni has become an ambassador for the campaign, and is planning to visit various communities. “We are here in Inanda, it is a proud moment for myself to be the one millionth man. The initiative is to say to men let’s get into the clinic, hospitals and circumcise. It’s for our health benefit, 60 percent chance of getting STIs reduced and all other diseases , lets chase this two million,  together we can.”

KwaZulu-Natal Health MEC Sbongiseni Dhlomo, who performed the surgery on Yeni, says all men should be circumcised even those who are HIV positive. Dhlomo says the campaign is targeting males between the ages of 13 and 75, which research has shown to be sexually active.

“What we are excited about is that he is number 1 million to be circumcised and there are no deaths in this province since the circumcision started. His task as a celebrity is that he must go out there and motivate other million people to circumcise. It’s not just a practice of circumcision that is an issue but it’s the consequences and the benefit.”

In 2009 Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini made an appeal for all males to get circumcised. Zwelithini has thanked traditional leaders for ensuring they encourage people to circumcise.

“As the Zulu-King I would like to thank Amakhosi who have taken this campaign to their areas. Let’s not stop but get more males to be circumcised. People should listen to the advices given by the adults, the traditional leaders and medical practitioners to live long. Let’s continue with this campaign.”

According to medical research circumcision reduces chances of contracting sexually transmitted diseases by up to sixty percent.

The post King Zwelithini urges males to undergo circumcision appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..

Source: SABCNews

Sharks upbeat about 2018 Super Rugby season

admin No Comments

The Sharks head coach Robert du Preez says there’s great energy in his squad ahead of the tough 2018 Super Rugby season. He’s banking on a team with a good mixture of youth and experience to produce the results this season.

The Sharks are not taking the 2018 rugby season lying down. They’re sweating it out in the sweltering Durban heat stretching themselves to the limited.

They are sharpening their skills ahead of a tough couple of months of rugby.

Sharks head coach, Robert du Preez says, “We’ve got some really talented youngsters and these guys haven’t looked out of place. A guy like Pepsi Buthelezi, who is the Sharks under 18 captain last year and JJ Van Der Mescht, they’ve trained with us right through pre-season and they haven’t looked out of place, it’s great to have a mix of the youth and the more experienced guys.”

The Sharks are heading into the 2018 Super Rugby competition with a pep in their step, but say they want to take it one step at a time.

Sharks player, Franco Marais says, “So obviously we are playing New Zealand sides this year and we got two weeks in Australia and two weeks in New Zealand and I think we need to take it week for week. I know it’s an old cliché but Super Rugby is a tough competition and you can’t aim to far in the future, but for us a home a quarter final is definitely one of our goals and hopefully a home final.”

They’ll be playing two warm-up matches prior to the competition.

On the 27th of January they meet the Bulls in Polokwane and on the 3rd of February they head to Hong Kong, where they’ll take on Racing 92.

On Saturday, Sharks fans are in for a treat. They’ll get an opportunity to meet the entire squad at Kings Park.

The post Sharks upbeat about 2018 Super Rugby season appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..

Source: SABCNews

DUT staff, Vice Chancellor at loggerheads

admin No Comments

Employees at the Durban University of Technology (DUT) in Durban say they have lost confidence in Vice Chancellor Professor Thandwa Mthembu after he failed to engage with them three days into their protected strike.

Members of three unions, National Education Health and Allied Workers’ Union (Nehawu), National Tertiary Education Union (Nteu) and Tertiary Education National Union of South Africa (Tenusa) are demanding a 10% increase to their salaries.

The strike coincides with similar protest action at Unisa where students protested in solidarity with employees who downed tools are demanding a 12% increase. Both employers have offered only 4%.

Speaking on behalf of the three unions, Nehawu’s Milton Estrice says, “There’s been no talks with management, Rome is burning and they are writing love letters; but one thing is clear staff will not stop this strike until there is engagement and an amicable solution found.

“So on Wednesday we marched to let the Vice Chancellor know that he cannot turn a blind eye to what is happening and we have given him a memorandum indicating that staff has taken a vote of no confidence in him because he has failed to engage the union for the past three days.”

Click here for a video:

The post DUT staff, Vice Chancellor at loggerheads appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..

Source: SABCNews

Five accused of murdering SACP member Blose plead not guilty

admin No Comments

The murder trial of Inchanga South African Communist Party (SACP) member Nonsikelelo Blose got underway in the Durban Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday.

Five men have been charged with her 2016 murder.

They’ve also been charged with the attempted murder of a Young Communist League (YCL) member who was present at the scene.

Bonginkosi Hlengwa, Sthembiso Mnguni, Lindokuhle Basi, Khehla Shozi and Lungisani Lungu Shozi have pleaded not guilty to both counts.

About two weeks after the 2016 Local Government Elections it’s alleged Nonsikelelo Blose went to a local tavern in Fredville to buy braaied meat, to celebrate the results.

She was shot there and died shortly afterwards.

The five men that have been charged with her murder are also charged with the attempted murder of Wandile Nxumalo, who was also at the scene.

He is the son of former eThekwini mayor James Nxumalo.

According to Blose’s daughters’ emotional testimony, one of the accused fired two shots hitting her mother. She alleges that his friends then pulled him away and fled the scene.

According to the charge sheet, it’s alleged that the murder was planned or premeditated and was committed by a group of people with a common purpose.

In a statement the suspects admitted being at the tavern, but say they were there, merely drinking liquor, enjoying each others company and singing.

They also denied being in possession of firearms.

The trial is set down for four days.

The post Five accused of murdering SACP member Blose plead not guilty appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..

Source: SABCNews

Beachgoers asked to be cautious

admin No Comments

The National Sea Rescue Institute (NSRI) has made an urgent plea to all beachgoers to be extremely cautious over the next week. This is as the first full moon of the New Year will result in a spring tide and stronger than normal rip currents.

Nine people have drowned across the country since the start of the festive season – five of them in the Western Cape.

The NSRI’s Craig Lambinon says rip-currents are powerful, narrow channels of fast-moving water which can occur near beaches with breaking waves.

“They form at different places constantly throughout the day and that river of water if you find yourself caught in that river of water you’re going to be swept out to sea faster than you can swim back to shore. They can reach up to 5 miles per hour. So, it’s extremely dangerous. It’s definitely the greatest cause of drowning around the coastline in South Africa.”

The post Beachgoers asked to be cautious appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..

Source: SABCNews

Durban loses the right to host the 2022 Commonwealth Games

admin No Comments

The 2022 Commonwealth Games will no longer be hosted in Durban after the city lost the rights to host it due to financial constraints. Durban was awarded to host the games in 2015 as the only contender to make a confirmed bid after Edmonton in Canada withdrew in February. No replacement has been made despite
Source: The New Age

Recent Comments

    Categories