ANC

PrimeTime: ANC speaks on DA’s axing of Patricia de Lille

admin No Comments

Source: The New Age

Calls for ANCYL’s Collen Maine to step down

admin No Comments

African National Congress Youth League Deputy Secretary General Thandi Moraka has called on the league’s president Collen Maine to resign “urgently”.

In scathing attacks on Maine at a memorial service for late stalwart Winnie Madikizela-Mandela, Moraka labelled Maine a sell-out, saying he is undeserving of being Youth League president.

She accused Maine of apologising to Ramaphosa to serve his own interest and not representing the league’s stance on the ANC presidency.

Youth League decided to support Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma to succeed former President Jacob Zuma at the elective conference last December.

Moraka’s attacks come just days after a video surfaced of Maine telling mourners at another memorial of Madikizela-Mandela that he was introduced to the Guptas by North West Premier Supra Mahumapelo.

 

The post Calls for ANCYL’s Collen Maine to step down appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..

Source: SABCNews

Collen Maine encourages youth to be fearless

admin No Comments

ANC Youth League (ANCYL) President Collen Maine says the current youth must have the guts to speak truth to power and be able to rise to the occasion and deal with the current issues. “Young people must be able to speak without fear and favour. We must be able to talk to the ANC government,
Source: The New Age

ANC ban on party regalia backfires as hundreds appear in ‘personal capacity’

admin No Comments

The ANC National Executive Committee (NEC) decision to ban its party colours and regalia from the corruption trial of President Jacob Zuma has on Friday completely backfired. Despite an instruction issued last month by party Secretary General Ace Magashule against “displaying the ANC’s paraphernalia” hundreds of Zuma supporters turned up in their ANC gear outside
Source: The New Age

‘Client service at Home Affairs offices should be a priority’

admin No Comments

Home Affairs Minister Malusi Gigaba says the department needs to reposition itself in order to play a role in economic development in the country. He said the improvement of client service at the offices has to be a priority. “The department must be repositioned to play a role in economic development in the country. One
Source: The New Age

Still no word on President Zuma’s fate

admin No Comments

The African National Congress (ANC) is still mum on the details of the talks on the fate of President Jacob Zuma.

This as opposition parties prepare to force the Speaker of Parliament Baleka Mbete to reschedule the debate of the motion of no confidence in Zuma as early as next week.

ANC president Cyril Ramaphosa has spent the week holding talks with the embattled Zuma to discuss issues relating to his imminent departure from high office.

Following the postponement of the State of the Nation Address (Sona), Zuma has had his public engagements reduced as the nation anxiously awaits a decision on his future.

It’s been one of the most toughest week for the ANC top leadership, as tension over the future President Zuma as Head of State heightened.

On Thursday, Ramaphosa addressed the ANC parliamentary caucus for the first time this year, amid growing anxiety over plans by opposition parties to stage a major government shutdown in protest against President Zuma’s continued stay in office.

Faced with mounting pressure to expedite Zuma’s recall, Ramaphosa was forced to issue a statement earlier in the week to assure South Africans that talks regarding the fate of the country’s President were on course.

Both Ramaphosa and ANC national chairperson Gwede Mantashe had to cancel their participation in the planned weekend ANC mass mobilisation campaigns in the Cape, to concentrate on discussions to secure Zuma’s dignified exit.

The postponement of the Ubuntu Awards due to be addressed by President Zuma, fuelled more speculations that the fate of the President might be sealed this weekend.

The post Still no word on President Zuma’s fate appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..

Source: SABCNews

Tony Leon gets tongue lashing for calls to support Ramaphosa

admin No Comments

The Democratic Alliance (DA) in KwaZulu-Natal has lashed out at its former leader Tony Leon for calling on the party to support the newly elected ANC leadership.

Leon told DA supporters in Chatsworth that Ramaphosa’s election is a game changer. He says the party needs to be open and generous to Ramaphosa for making the fight against state capture and corruption his primary job.

“We have got to start off by recognising that there has been a big change in the political weather. When a hurricane comes your way you must change tactics from when there was a drought and I think Ramaphosa has actually renewed people’s hopes,” said Leon.

KwaZulu-Natal DA leaders have hit out at Leon and say his statement does not represent the views of the party. They say it is not the time to confuse and demotivate supporters as they are on the cusp of taking over the government of the country.

“As the leadership of KZN there is no way we can allow a situation where a former leader of this party to come to our province, engage our members and tells them things will be changing just because Ramaphosa is in power. We do not believe Ramaphosa will do anything for our country,” said KZN leader, Zakele Mncwango.

Leon also used the platform to call on President Jacob Zuma to vacate office and to make it easier to start rebuilding the economy.

The post Tony Leon gets tongue lashing for calls to support Ramaphosa appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..

Source: SABCNews

Joburg ANC to challenge David Tembe’s appointment as City’s metro police chief

admin No Comments

The African National Congress (ANC) in Johannesburg said on Wednesday that it rejected the appointment of David Tembe as the City’s metro police new chief, accusing the Democratic Alliance-led administration of flouting recruitment and appointment processes.

This comes after Joburg Mayor Herman Mashaba announced earlier in the day that the veteran Tembe had taken over the post from Tuesday.

Tembe previously occupied various roles within the City entities, including the Johannesburg Metro Police Department (JMPD) and the Johannesburg Emergency Services, for 20 years before joining the Road Traffic Management Corporation and later practicing as a consultant in law enforcement.

The process that was followed before Tembe’s name was approved by council had angered the opposition ANC in Johannesburg since it preferred another candidate, General Eric Gela.

ANC spokesperson in Joburg, Jolidee Matongo, said in a statement that Mashaba had brought a report to appoint Gela as the chief of police for the City of Joburg on 19 October as Tembe was scored as candidate number five in the same report.

“After discussions at this meeting, the Mayor withdrew the report and the matter was sent back to the executive for further consideration. Following the 19 October 2017 Council meeting there were no new set of interviews for the Chief of Police for the City of Joburg,” Matongo said.

“Instead a new report on the appointment of the chief of police was presented to Council on the 29 November 2017. In this new report David Tembe was recommended for appointment as the chief of police.”

Matongo said that the ANC caucus in the City of Johannesburg rejected this appointment as “it did not afford the highest scoring candidates the opportunity to be appointed to the position”.

Matongo went on to reject a unanimous recommendation by the recruitment panel that even though Tembe was the fifth on the list, this was a crucial position and the City preferred the candidate being able to take-up the position immediately as the first four candidates were not registered members of a Municipal Police Service, which would take months to provide them with necessary training and registration.

“This recommendation by the panel if it indeed came from the panel, clearly demonstrates that David Tembe is not the most suitable candidate to be appointed as the chief of police in the City of Joburg. Therefore, his appointment will be challenged by the ANC using all available avenues,” Matongo said.

“We will in the meantime approach the MEC for Cooperative Governance in the province and the Minister of Public Service and Administration to look into the matter. We have also given our legal team all the required documentation to start a process to have this appointment set aside.”

The post Joburg ANC to challenge David Tembe’s appointment as City’s metro police chief appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..

Source: SABCNews

EFF disgusted by ‘racist’ march under the name #BlackMonday

admin No Comments

The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) says that the march that was marked #BlackFriday by farmers on Monday in protest over farm killings in the country “promoted anti-black racism”. Farmers staged a protest on Monday highlighting the high number of farmers who are murdered in the country. AfriForum said that since 1 January 2017 at least
Source: The New Age

Young Communist League in free tertiary fight

admin No Comments

WITH the ANC’s policy conference having resolved that free higher education must be implemented from next year, fears are mounting that the leaked fees’ commission report has left the ruling party with “egg” on its face. According to the leaked report, the Heher Commission found that free higher education for all would not be feasible
Source: The New Age

Recent Comments

    Categories